Church history


CVBC_2008_V2On November 27, 1910 a council was called to organize the Catawba Valley Baptist Church.  Rev. James Long was called as the first pastor.  During 1911, a building 30’x50’ was built on some land given by R. L. Wagner.   Since the beginning, Catawba Valley Baptist Church has had many wonderful pastors such as, James Long 1910, C. A. Lineburger 1912, C. A. Caldwell 1913, J. P. Hagaman 1915, M. I. Harris 1918, H. L. Smith 1920, H. S. Benfield 1921, W. H. Walker 1925, W. B. Sprinkle 1926, at which time the church voted to have preaching services twice a month, on the first and third Sundays.   J. G. Benfield was called in 1930, J. B. Payne 1935, Carl Hemphill 1938.

In 1938, four Sunday School rooms were added to the building and electric lights were installed.  Baptist Training Union was organized on October 15, 1939. Robert Frye was called as pastor in 1944, Parks Harris 1945, during which time there was three more Sunday School rooms added and church services began full time.  In 1946, the church called Carl Devine.  In 1948 J. J. Buckner was called, at which time there was a parsonage built, W.M.U. and Brotherhood were organized.  Other pastors include C. V. Brown 1949 and H. A. Quick, which stayed the longest of any of the pastors, from 1949 to 1958.  In this period, Rev. Quick led the church in a complete remodeling program and served it graciously until his death on March 15, 1958.  W. A. Laudermilch was called in 1958; L. J. Culler 1962, at which time a new educational building was built, also remodeling and a new heating system was installed.  J. E. Crump came to the church in 1969 and served until 1973.  While here, the church had a note-burning, and air-conditioned the sanctuary and educational building.  In 1973, W. Horace Crouse was called and during his ministry a new sanctuary was erected.  In 1978, B. G. McMahan was called as our pastor.  While serving, our church remodeled the old sanctuary into a fellowship hall, paved the parking lot, built our parsonage, and retired the church debt.  In 1990, Don Lawing served faithfully as our interim pastor.

In the fall of 1991, our church called Jesse Lott to serve as pastor.  During his pastorate, our church added the staff positions of church secretary, full-time music director, and part-time youth and associate pastor.  Also in his service, our church purchased a new steeple, added storm windows to the sanctuary, purchased a new organ and piano, started a church building fund, renovated the youth’s “Upper Room”, and commissioned its first-ever Youth Mission Team.  

At the close of 2001, Clyde Buckner came to serve as interim pastor.  During his ministry, our church purchased and retired the debt for the two adjoining properties including the former James property and the former Self house property.  We also supported several Mission Teams, purchased new sound equipment and speakers, and equipped the sanctuary with the large screen that provides announcements, songs, and scriptures.  

In May 2006, Catawba Valley called Dr. David "Mike" Odom and his wife Debbie to serve as our Senior Pastor.   In this short time, we have added many ministries such as; the Pastor’s Prayer Partners, the Wednesday Night Meals, the Marriage Retreat, the Carolina Faith Riders, Missionary Housing, The Christmas Gathering, and the AWANA Clubs.  We have hosted amazing guests including: Mr. David Ring, The Isaacs, Mr. Squire Parsons, and Dr. Jimmy De Young.  The Lord has blessed our church by placing His Call on Brad Childres and Jeff Beach.  He has blessed our Music Ministry with an expanded choir loft, a praise band, and a wonderfully, gifted group of singers and musicians under the leadership of Allen Curtis.  The Lord has also given us plans for growing our Church campus in the future, as we strive to faithfully give and allow God to lead us as we minister to our community. We look forward to what God has in store for Catawba Valley as Pastor Mike and Mrs. Debbie lead our great fellowship.  We give thanks to God for the Catawba Valley family and its rich heritage, and pray that we will always strive to do His will.  If the Lord tarries His coming, Catawba Valley will celebrate 100 years of serving and worshipping the Lord in 2010.

Worship Times
Sundays
10:55am worship service
6:00pm evening service

Wednesdays
7:00pm evening service
6:45pm AWANA

706 Lenoir Road
Morganton, NC 28655
(828) 437-9237
Click Here for Driving Directions